Leather (mine = 1″ wide + 8/9oz + natural veg dye)
Brass Eyelets (mine = 3/16″ hole)
Leather Hole Punch
1. Measure then cut leather to size. (mine = 1″ wide x 8″ long – final installed handle is approx. 4″ tall)
2. Lightly dampen cut leather pieces with a sponge to prep leather for hole punching. Towel off any extra moisture.
3. Measure and mark matching hole locations on both ends. (mine = 1″ interior from either edge + centered width)
*TIP: Make a template using an extra matching leather scrape to quickly and consistently mark hole guide placements if you’re making multiple matching handles.
4. Align punch tool with the guide mark and carefully punch out the hole.
5. Place setter and hammer eyelets into each hole.
6. Loop leather strip in half and thread the bolt through both eyelets to prep for install.
7. Thread bolt through the hardware mounting hole, finalize leather handle placement, thread washer onto the bolt end and tighten both very firmly to secure the handle.
and then DONE.
source: Brick House
*Optional Finishing: I’ve been using a leather finisher on the overall handle and then finishing the edges with a slicker and Gum Tragacanth. Leave the leather raw, seal it, dye it, burn it – I don’t care. Do whatever works to finish things up to your taste.