The Indianapolis 500 is like Christmas in May for those IndyCar enthusiasts. The people, food and open-wheel racing drama makes this day a loved tradition for Indy natives plus millions worldwide. While it is a spectacular event to attend, Many Hoosiers will get in on the race action by watching from home with friends and family. We’ve gathered some creative ideas to celebrate the “Greatest Spectacle in Racing” from the comfortable confines of your M/I Home.
1. Race Car Ticket Invitation – Invite your family and friends to your Indy 500-themed party with these crafty race car tickets! Create DIY invitations using checkered flag and bar code images to mirror the Indy 500 experience.
2. Flag Cone Popcorn – Easy, yet fun! Purchase inexpensive checkered flag paper from your local crafts store, and roll them around to shape like a cone. Use them for any food item you wish, but who doesn’t love popcorn?
3. IndyCars Treats – Want to make a simple, sweet treat that both children and adults will enjoy? To make these desserts, use Little Debbie’s Swiss Roll Cakes for the body of the car, and put pretzel sticks with marshmallows in the mini cakes for the tires. Baking isn’t necessary, plus these won’t melt in your air-conditioned M/I homes!
4. Antifreeze and Motor Oil Beverages – If you’re looking for a creative way to display your beverages, pour your water, punch and sparkling soda into serving glasses labeled with “Antifreeze” and “Motor Oil.” Just make sure to clearly indicate what the drink really is so that guests aren’t confused!
5. Toilet Paper Race Cars – Set these adorable race cars around your M/I Home to give your guests something to rave about. Be sure to save your empty toilet paper rolls to have plenty of decorative cars.
If interested, customize these projects to create your own pizzazz. Using these Indy 500-themed ideas will add style to your party celebrating the world’s largest single-day spectator sporting event. Have fun with family and friends in your M/I Home this weekend!