A home is made for entertaining. The anticipation of house guests’ arrival is exciting and thoughtfully prepared. With the holidays, however, you can’t always predict who will be stopping by. Here are some great tips from Apartment Therapy on cleaning up in a pinch when you don’t always get the advanced notice you had hoped for.
1. Gather the basics. Floor wipes, bleach wipes, countertop spray and an air freshener like Febreeze. A magic eraser is great to have on hand as well.
2. Pick up the floor and put everything away (or into the drawer to deal with “later.”) Clearing the floors and surfaces first makes everything go much faster later.
3. Vacuum the floors or, if you have one, let the Roomba do the work while you move onto #4.
4. Spray down all kitchen/dining room surfaces with countertop spray and wipe down. Tackle any tough spots with your magic eraser.
5. Use the bleach wipes to wipe down the sink, toilet and shower in the bathroom.
6. Wipe down bathroom and entryway mirrors with the glass cleaner.
7. Shake out the rugs and throws and straighten pillows. Use air freshener on upholstered surfaces.