Are you traveling for the upcoming holiday or taking a summer vacation anytime soon? It probably seems like there are endless items to check off of your task list before heading out of town, but home safety has to be one of them.
We’ve gathered a few tips to help you keep your home safe, secure, and ready for you to unwind in when you get back home.
- Leading up to your trip, we know you’re excited, but posting about it in social media is not always the smartest idea. Be sure to check your privacy settings on your profile if you do want to share details with close friends & family.
- Activate your security alarm if you have one.
- You have locks on your windows – use them!
- Survey what garbage you have set out – it could tip thieves off as to something new you may have inside your home
- Take a peek from an outside perspective and see what you can view inside. If you can see it and it’s valuable, either close your curtains or move it out of sight.
- Newer homes have better safety measures for sliding glass doors, but for extra security, consider putting a rod of some sort into the back groove. This will prevent it being opened even if the lock didn’t.
- Trim any bushes or trees so that your entryways are visible and prevent people from hiding.
- Consider letting the police know that you will be out of town for an extended period of time. They may be willing to drive by your property to check on things.
- Have a neighbor, friend, or family member collect your mail, newspapers, etc. on a daily basis. You can also stop your mail from being delivered by contacting the post office.
- If you’re going to be gone long enough for your lawn to look abandoned while normally it’s manicured and green, arrange for someone to cut it.
- Have a neighbor park in your driveway – you might just fool a burglar into thinking someone’s home.
- Install a timer to keep a few lights on throughout the evening.
- Lastly, consider having someone stay at your home instead of leaving it lonely.
Of course, your home’s construction can have a lot to do with its safety & lasting quality as well. That’s why you should always use a trusted builder like M/I Homes that keeps an eye on every detail of how your home is constructed.
Have a safe & happy Independence Day, everyone!